Pen pal experience remains a valuable one

Rachael Connelly, Reporter

When was the last time you sat down and wrote a letter? Not a birthday card, or a thank you note, or a Christmas card to your distant family, but rather a casual “Hey, how are you?” letter?

There is something utterly personal about a letter that can’t be found in an Instagram D.M. When you take time out of your day to write someone a letter, it shows an extraordinary level of thoughtfulness that can make someone’s day just that little bit brighter. Writing a letter gives you an opportunity to be genuine and connect with another person, but who is there to write to?

Pen pals is a term you probably haven’t heard since elementary school. Most people would think that in a modern world where you have the ability to send a message across the globe in a second, pen pals would have died off.

One theory of mine is safety. There are still ways for younger students to connect with pen pals through teacher-monitored chat rooms, but the older you get, the harder it is to find an entirely safe opportunity. That is why pen and paper letters work so well. They eliminate the risk of revealing any unnecessary information online.

Due to the current situation in our world, a lot of people are left in isolation looking for something to do, and a way to, despite restrictions, connect with people. Countries like Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and many others are still experiencing limitations greater than our own. \

Now is the perfect time to go out and find a pen pal as a way to break around these barriers and make the most of a bad situation. By finding a pen pal you are providing yourself with the opportunity to learn, not only about all different kinds of people and cultures, but also yourself.