Fantasy football life: Cruel punishments and high prizes

Around fall — especially NFL time — it’s hard to escape the attention given to fantasy sports, which to some is more important than the games itself, as some even sink money and place risky bets just on how well their selected players perform. 

You can tell just by looking at someone on Monday how well their team went based upon how they were acting. 

However, some feel as if playing fantasy sports is just something added onto the games to gain more awareness, get more viewers, and most importantly, make more money. 

So the question is, what’s the point? And why take those risks?

Many students at De Pere High School compete. Of the students who took the Crimson Aviator fantasy football survey, 33 percent of students said they participate in fantasy football because of possible prizes for winning. Seventy-three percent of surveyed students say that prizes interest them into joining a league as well. 

All prizes include some sort of cash or just bragging rights, with some of the prizes going up to $50-$400. 

Bragging rights seems to be enough for some leagues.  In senior Cal Matzke’s league, the prize of winning is “the pride that you are the winner and everyone else is the loser.”

For other leagues, prizes include money, aside from just the pride. As junior Jack Weisenberger’s league has a prize of $160, he tells me what he is going to do with his earnings if he wins, “Well, I am 0-6, so not too ideal so far, but if I do win, I will use it on some food in February.”

Along with the prizes, many leagues have punishments to go along with. These leagues are usually groups of friends and who aren’t typically the nicest with each other on the punishments. 

As Weisenberger explained about his league, “(The loser) has to be in a cage for 30 minutes, and the rest of the members of the league get to throw whatever they want at (them).”

Others in the survey have indicated that the loser of their group has to drink a glass of “Pilk” which is a mixture of Pepsi and milk.

With different students participating in many different leagues, there are obviously going to be different punishments. When interviewed, senior Joey Erb stated, “The punishment in one of the leagues that I’m in is that we have to sit in a McDonald’s for 24 hours. But if you eat a Filet O’ Fish, it takes one hour off your time.”

This punishment is more a mild view of the outcomes that can await a player if you lose your league. 

As the season progresses, participants will have their highs and lows of the season. How they control and manage their team determines if they take home the prize, or potentially the embarrassment.