Emma Hujet is busy doing just about everything

Lucy Kurowski, Reporter

Emma Hujet is De Pere High School’s Student Body President and one of the most accomplished seniors. She is involved in high school athletics, the arts, and maintains excellent grades. She is admired by many students because of how inspiring she is. Emma’s determination and dedication are all admirable qualities that she holds very well. 

What do you participate in at school and why? Music because it has been a lifelong passion of mine. My grandma taught me music from a young age, and my love for it strengthened after her passing. I’m also involved in sports. I have played soccer my whole life because it gives me a way to be active while also having fun with a good team. I’m also involved in some service based organizations such as student council and NHS because I like trying to give back to my communities. As cheesy as it sounds, I just like making a difference.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? I’m looking at going into a career in the military. In 5 years I would not be out of my service, so if everything goes according to plan, I would still be serving in the Navy, hopefully with some sort of medical career helping people in combat.

What was a moment in your life that caused you to change? I think anything that has to do with the relationship I had with my father has shaped me and the person that I am today. With his passing in August of 2021, I gained a new perspective on life and it helped me mature as a person. 

What is something that you regret from high school? Caring so much about what other people think of me. I think I spent way too much of my time obsessing over what others were going to think of me if I did XYZ, or what people thought of me because I dress a certain way. I think if I had just chilled out a little bit and been myself, I would have been so much happier rather than stressing out about it all the time.

What are you looking forward to about the end of your senior year? I think that in the last year, I’ve grown a lot closer with some of my classmates than I have in the past. I’m excited to have more of a friend group this year to do things with. I’m really looking forward to senior ball and graduation. I know that they’ll be sad because it’s like experiencing a lot of our lasts, but I’m excited to watch my fellow classmates grow up.

Do you have any words of advice for underclassmen? Don’t overextend yourself. Choose the things that you want to put your focus into and do those few things really well rather than trying to involve yourself in absolutely everything and not knowing where to put your focus .

How do you balance extra curricular activities, school, and a job? A lot of crying. I like to have really specific schedules to my day and a lot of times that fall on Sunday. If I know that I have a really busy schedule coming up, I’ll try to block out my time, so that I’m not wasting any of my precious hours of daylight. I like to block my time out, and a lot of times that means that I sacrificed time to sleep … but you can sleep when you’re dead.

What is your earliest childhood memory? It’s very random, but I vividly remember when my twin brother and I still shared a room when we were really little. We used to read bedtime stories every night and my brother and I used to fight over who got to sit on my pillow, and I don’t know why. 

What was your most embarrassing moment on stage? Sophomore year, in Jam Session, during our very first song, we had on these big tulle dresses, and the tulle material on the dress tended to rip off quite easily. In our very first performance there was a piece of tulle laying on the floor, and I was front row, center, for that song. I slipped on a piece of it and absolutely ate it! It was so embarrassing and I still have the video and when I’m in a bad mood I’ll go back and watch it and laugh at myself.

If you could have a meal with any deceased person, who and why? My grandpa on my dad’s side because he died when I was really little, and I never remember meeting him. He died when I was about six months old, and from everything that I’ve heard, he was a music major and he played trumpet in the Navy Band. He and I would have so much in common now and I would just love to have a conversation.

What are your plans after high school? I’m currently sitting in the extremely lengthy process of applying for the United States Naval Academy. The academy itself only has a 7 percent acceptance rate, but if I get in I would hope to pursue a major in general science with the intent of doing something with military medicine. That is also a super selective field within the academy, so my backup is doing something with aviation. I would want to be a Goose or Maverick, I haven’t decided which one.

Describe yourself in three words. Hard-working, optimistic, strong-headed.

Is there a teacher at DPHS that has affected you in a positive way? I have to say Mrs. Cummings because I’ve known her for the entirety of my high school career and she was one of the first people who really showed me what it is like to have somebody believe in you.

What do you do with your free time? What free time!?  In the rare occurrence that I have some spare time to myself, I love journaling. It’s a good way to help me get my mind off of things and sort out the jumbled mess that goes on in my head. I tend to write a lot of novels, and one of my bucket list items is to publish one of them. I also spend a lot of time with my dogs. If I don’t have spare time, I make time to spend with them because they’re the loves of my life.

If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be and why? All the hatred. I would consider myself a pretty optimistic person, and it might seem naive to say that, but a large portion of our problems stem from hatred, and hatred can branch into so many different things: selfishness, revenge and jealousy. If we just had more kindhearted souls and people who really just wanted to do good in this world, we’d be in a better place.