Newest “My Little Pony” film is worth a watch

Emma Duquaine, Reporter

With the release of My Little Pony: A New Generation, the creators had a reputation to preserve and fans they couldn’t risk disappointing.

Being the fifth generation of the My Little Pony franchise, the fan base includes a variety of ages.

As a teenager who has watched the fourth generation of MLP series through her childhood, the release of My Little Pony: A New Generation, made me both excited and worried.

Lately in the entertainment industry, there has been a trend of remaking old shows or movies—many ending up with negative reviews. The possibility of my favorite childhood show being “ruined” made me hesitant to watch the new movie, but I decided to do it.

Receiving 90% on Rotten Tomatoes, My Little Pony: A New Generation was a success. 

The overall storyline and characters in the movie are both cute and powerful.

The plotline of the movie surrounds the idea that the three types of ponies — Earth ponies, Pegasi, and Unicorns — are all separated into three cities throughout Equestria. All of the ponies live in fear and hatred towards each other. 

Following the main character, Sunny, on a search to restore harmony in Equestria, the movie focuses on the ideas of unity—and of course, friendship. 

Through teenagers’ high school years, we are faced with many of these similar challenges as the ponies. The lesson of overcoming challenges and creating friendships has been a common theme within the MLP franchise.

Allusions to the past MLP generations are scattered throughout the film which added a much appreciated nostalgia factor for those who grew up watching the past shows and movies.

If you are a long time My Little Pony fan like me, or are simply looking for something on Netflix to watch, My Little Pony: A New Generation is a great choice.