For Emily Huebner, it’s literally all about the drama

For Emily Huebner, its literally all about the drama

Rachael Connelly, Reporter

Emily Huebner is an accomplished junior at DPHS. She has been an active member of our drama club since freshman year. In this time she has worked her way up to the position of club co-president. I met with her to learn a little bit more about who she is and what exactly she does within Drama Club.

What is it that originally drew you to Drama Club? “I had done some acting and other theater before, so I thought it would be fun, but I was also kind of intimidated by the big musical so I thought: “Oh I can just join the crew.” And once I was there I realized I loved it and kept going.”

What is your favorite show that you have been a part of? “Probably Sweeney Todd (last year’s winter play). It was really fun and there were a lot of cool people in both the crew and the cast.”

What is the best part about being drama club co-president? “I like that me and Allison (Kowalczyk, drama club co-president) split the responsibility so it does not get too stressful, and also it’s just kind of fun to plan stuff like senior gifts, meetings, and represent the club at Redbird Rally.”

What responsibilities do you have as drama club co-president? “We set up all of the meetings, run the social media, talk about making a display case for the musical, as well as general organization things.”

What is it like having a co-president? Why is it that you split the role? “It happened because me and Allison both wanted to run for president. We thought that if we combined our platforms we would represent more people because she does mostly acting while I do mostly stage crew. It also helps that we work well together.”

What is your favorite thing about drama club? “I really like the community that it has. It gives everyone a chance to be a part of a show whether you do acting, crew, or anything else. We all work together.”

Is Drama Club just a hobby for you or is it something you hope to pursue a career in? “I’m not sure yet, but I would definitely like to go into directing, stage managing, or something like that.”

What is your favorite class? “Probably Theater Production II with Ms. Voskamp because we get to be a part of teaching Theater Production I. With being online last year we missed a lot of in person experiences, so it is nice to be able to make up for that. “

Who is your biggest influence? “My mom because she is very supportive and has always been there for me.”

Would you encourage other students to get involved in drama club?

“I definitely would. It can be intimidating to act, but with the One Acts coming up, that environment is a lot more chill. Even if you are not a great actor, you can still be a part of the team. No matter what you are doing, it is a really good time.”

What is something you learned while being in Drama Club?

“I learned how to have fun but still be productive. It’s OK to goof off a little bit as long as you can focus when you need to. There is a balance between work and fun.”

What is your favorite movie? “Probably Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse because I like Marvel and that movie in particular is really funny and has nice animation.”

Are you involved in any other clubs at school? “Other than drama club I am in Key Club and NHS.”

What kind of music do you like? “I would say a mix of R&B and Pop.”