Not everyone takes art class, but they should

Rachael Connelly, Reporter

Here in Wisconsin, it is not mandatory to take an art class to graduate high school. 

While that seems familiar to us, it is actually quite unusual compared to the 40 states that do mandate some form of art classes during education, which could be through choir, band, theater, fine arts, etc.

You might think that even if art class is not mandatory, it is still available as an option to those who are interested. However, six states in the U.S. do not require schools to even provide art education: New Mexico, Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Louisiana, and Michigan. 

Wisconsin is not one of those six states. That is why it is all the more important that we take advantage of what we have and spread awareness of the importance of art in school. 

Art class allows students to creatively express themselves in ways that are unachievable in other classrooms, increasing self-confidence, detail orientation, communication skills, and minimizing stress.

All of these skills can be applied to succeeding in other subjects and job fields.

I first realized the significance of art education when attending a pre-college program at the Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design in 2019. The creative and accepting atmosphere I experienced there helped my confidence; by the end of my first day, I could not help but follow suit. 

After my two weeks there, I felt like a greater version of myself. Not only had I improved my artistic abilities, but also my character.

This is something that I would like everyone to experience, even if that means just trying one art class at some point in high school. It is definitely worth the time. Who knows, you might enjoy it.

I met with Ms. Beyers, one of our school’s art teachers, to talk us through a couple of questions about art education here at DPHS.

Q: Why should I take an art class if I am not good at art?

A: If you think you’re not good at something, all the more reason to take those classes, to get better at it.

Q: What makes art class different from our regular core classes?

A: I think art classes offer a reprieve of a regular class period. It’s viewed as therapeutic for some students even though you are working throughout the whole class.

Q: Would you like to see the laws regarding art class not being mandatory in Wisconsin changed?

A: Of course, I would like it to change. I think we have so many electives at the high school. I wish people would broaden themselves and take a variety of electives. That could be business classes, music classes, tech-ed classes, and art classes.