Required Books: Are They Still Appropriate?

Jerree NelsonStenson, Reporter

Some of the books that are required for LA-9, 10, and 11 are not really appropriate for high school anymore.  I feel that they aren’t appropriate for these grades because they have some grammar that some students do not understand, but this is due to the age of the books.  

One of the books from LA-9, Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, is not considered school appropriate anymore because it contains graphic content like bone breaking/crushing, which can make students uncomfortable. I feel this book would make more sense for LA-11 due to the fact that some content in this book mentions blood, which I feel that some freshmen might find uncomfortable.

One of the books from LA-10, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, is not considered school appropriate anymore because it talks about some things that reference death and fire.  The reason being is that some of the vocabulary is too high and does not really seem age appropriate for 10th graders.  

Finally, one book from LA-11, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, is somewhat appropriate, but I feel we could read a more age appropriate book because I feel this book is too mature for some students.  Something that was too mature about this book was the amount of drinking in the book. I didn’t really understand what this book was trying to say until I saw the movie because the book was not really in depth on what was going on.  Then again, movies have to be somewhat different for copyright reasons in some cases.

De Pere can make the classes more intriguing by changing the books to ones that students would find more interesting like ones they’ve heard about (an example could be A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard) because then they can either relate somehow or feel that they are somehow connected to the book.