Spirit Court among Homecoming changes for 2022

Madeline James, Reporter

This year is our second homecoming after 21 years without it at De Pere High School, and for some, it’s more exciting than ever.

The senior homecoming advisor, Mrs. Hardy, says that most things – free t-shirts, hallway decorating, football game and dance – are staying the same this year. 

However, there are some changes as well.

“Powerpuff is now in line with homecoming,” Hardy said. “Which is super exciting and that will be another way to count stuff for points. And then we have the pep rally back this year, not back but new to us.” 

Sunday, Oct. 3, was the start of homecoming with two Powerpuff girls flag football games – seniors vs. freshmen and juniors vs. sophomores. The first round games were won by the seniors and juniors. 

This year our school students decided to have a court but changed it to spirit court instead of the traditional Homecoming court.

We really wanted those people who are nominated to embody what it means to be a Redbird,” Hardy said. “It’s not necessarily a popularity vote, right? I mean it could end up that way, but our goal was to get those people who truly embody what it means to be a Redbird.” 

Teachers at De Pere High School get to ultimately choose the six seniors who are worthy of being praised in Spirit Court, and the other three classes will get four representatives.

Something different this year is also going to be a pep rally held during school flex hours on Friday, Oct. 7.

“It will be introducing the fall clubs, fall sports, and there will be more competitions,” Hardy said.  “There will be a little teacher game in there. It’s really just about jumping up spirit.” 

This week’s dress up themes for homecoming consist of pj day, celeb day, bikers vs. surfers, class theme and then our class shirts.