We the Changed People deserve a new Constitution

Times have changed, and it’s time to re-look at our core set of laws

Lilly Bristol, Reporter

235 years, 1 month, and 7 days. 

That is how long we have been using our current U.S Constitution. 

It may not be shocking to some people because this is just what we have always used, but considering that most countries have abolished or completely rewritten their “Constitutions”, I think it’s time for an advancement of our own.

Thomas Jefferson, one of the Founding Fathers, even expressed back in the late 1700s that a country’s Constitution should be rewritten every 19 years. He thought “the dead should not rule the living”; therefore, it was required for the Constitution to be re-birthed every so often to ensure our life is as safely updated as possible. 

Of course, the Constitution is a base foundation for how we work the government and how we solve problems, yet I wonder if it is really the best source to base our lives on. 

Should we still have the Electoral College?

Using the Electoral College system allows unfair outcomes to who becomes our president. Instead we should use the popular vote, which is the accurate representation of how many people actually wanted that certain person in that role. 

Should this revered document include the words “slave” and “Indian”? 

Yes, these words show our history, but slavery was abolished in 1865, and we refer to people as Native Americans or Indigenous Peoples of America. We should no longer read from a document that contains words heavily disposed of long ago. 

Furthermore, the Second Amendment talks about having the right to ‘bear arms’ when all they had back then were muskets, not AK47s and other machine guns. 

When the men wrote the Constitution, they had in their minds that it would be changed to fit our lifestyle, not theirs. They did not think of machine guns or other deadly rifles that would be invented later on.

The Crimson Aviator surveyed DPHS students, and 58.7% (out of 208 responses) agreed that the Constitution should be looked at/revised every 20 years. Only 29.6% thought that it should be changed completely every 20 years. 

As far as I’m concerned, people are afraid of change. As soon as something that affects everyone needs to be amended more drastically, people become frantic in fear of chaos and commotion.

Even though the Constitution needs to be improved, people will avoid change just so they don’t have to deal with the repercussions of it.

We The People deserve better than 235 years of old fashioned concepts.