Two Redbirds celebrate college scholarships

Kinziger headed to Illinois State; Destache to UW-Green Bay

Kazie Quinette, Reporter

Scholarships are a huge deal to athletes in high school. Working hard and achieving goals just to get that Division 1 scholarship is a great accomplishment.

On Nov. 9, De Pere High School’s Marissa Destache and John Kinziger each committed to D1 schools. 

UW-Green Bay has offered Destache, varsity softball player, a scholarship to continue her softball career. Destache not only excelled on the field, but in class as well. She received honors and rewards as a junior and was a captain of the softball team.  

“Marissa brings a lot of value to our team athletically as she can play multiple positions and brings more speed to our lineup,” says UWGB softball coach Sara Kubuske in a press release. “Marissa embodies everything our program and culture is about and we are excited to see her thrive over the next four years!”

In a short speech in the DPHS auditorium, Destache thanked teammates, family, friends, and coaches for their support.

“I’m excited to be a part of the Phoenix family,” Destache said.

Kinziger is the first boys baseball player at De Pere High to earn a Division 1 scholarship in 8 years. Kinziger has scored 1,570 points in his first three years and helped the Redbirds to 63 wins, two conference championships, two regional championships, and two sectional final appearances. 

Along with those accomplishments, Kinziger is a two-time Wisconsin Basketball Coaches Association All State First Team honoree and a three-time all-Fox River Classic Conference First Team selection.

The multiple award winning basketball player started out as a Redbird at De Pere and will carry on with being a Redbird through his commitment to Illinois State. 

“Johnny Kinziger is a winner,” says Head Coach of Illinois State Ryan Pedon in a press release. “He is the all-time De Pere High School leader in three-pointers and is on pace to be the all-time winningest player in the history of his high school program. I’m excited about the intangibles, competitiveness, and leadership that he will bring to Redbird Basketball.” 

Kinziger had one final message for the many students in attendance. 

“I’m so excited for the next chapter of my life, but first let’s go get that state championship,” Kinziger said. “Go Birds, baby!”

Photos by Jazlynn McGuire