Transfer student from Florida is enjoying the DPHS community atmosphere

Alaster Bowles, Reporter

Whitney Vande Hei is a freshman at De Pere High School who just transferred from a school in Florida. She’s a member of the Student Council and the French Club. She spoke with Crimson Aviator about her experience at De Pere High School. 

Q: What changed the most from your old school to this one?

A: The environment and the people. In my old school — we got to tour the high school to see what it would be like — there wasn’t a sense of community like there is at De Pere. No one dressed up for spirit days, everyone thinks homecoming is lame and they don’t appreciate the sense of community that De Pere has.

Q: What made you choose De Pere?

A: Family. My entire family lives up here and they’ve gone to De Pere. My parents wanted to be closer to family.

Q: What is your favorite part about being in student council?

A: Being able to set things up for people and for the school. I really enjoyed setting up for homecoming and for the dances. Really just getting to know people and helping people out at the school.

Q: Describe what your first day here was like. 

A: It was very intimidating, I didn’t really know what I was walking into. I had made some friends but I did not know what I was getting myself into. I was really discombobulated, it was definitely a bit overwhelming.

Q: Do you play any sports?

A: I ran at my old school but I’ve chosen not to do any sports this year and just focus on academics and getting to know people. 

Q: What kind of music do you listen to? 

A: Taylor Swift; I’m planning on going to one of her concerts in June. I listen to Arctic Monkeys and that kind of stuff. It’s really a wide range of stuff, it can go from pop one day to old school Eminem. It really just depends on the vibe.

Q: Who was your favorite teacher at your old school? 

A: His name was Mr. Tudor and he was the sweetest guy ever. He was so funny and he used to give nicknames to the class. My friend’s name was ‘Hyena’ because of her laugh and she would pretend to bite people. He was really funny, I miss him a lot.

Q: Do you have any siblings?

A: No, I’m an only child but I do have cousins that go here.One is a Freshman and my cousin’s cousins are junior and freshman. 

Q: What’s one goal you have for yourself in high school? 

A: I would love to get an apprenticeship in construction or architectural design because I think that’s really cool.

Q: What’s your favorite book?

A: Umm, I’ll say what I’m reading right now: I’m reading “A Simple Favor”. It’s by Darcey Bell.

Q: Who has been your strongest influence in life?

A: My great grandma, she had a very strong influence on me. Other than that just looking at the people around me. I take a lot of guidance from friends that are older than me and I take a lot of influence from them.

Q: If you could meet anyone in the world, dead or alive, who would you pick?

A: Van Gogh. I think he had a really interesting outlook on the world. He was an interesting guy and there’s a lot of mysteries surrounding him that I think would be interesting to find out the answers to.