Student profile: Hauser has a drive to succeed, help others

Jackie Cummings, Reporter

An interview with Gabby Hauser, sophomore:

Where is your go-to volunteering place? Recently my go-to volunteering has been at the Polar Express event at the National Railroad Museum. I love to volunteer because you can see all the families in their matching pajamas and it is actually so cute. 

What do you get out of volunteering? I like to see when other people are happy and know that I am spending my time making a difference in other people’s lives. 

What sports do you play through school and why? I am a golfer, and I play a lot of golf. I’ve always loved golfing. I started golfing with my grandpa when I was really little and I was hooked. At first, I did it to spend time with [my grandpa] and be unique, but then I ended up really loving it and sticking with it. 

Is golf competitive for you? Oh yes, I’m very competitive. I play on our school team, so our seasons are in the fall so I’ll do that, and we’ll play our regular sports season. Then I’ll play individual tournaments all summer, which help me meet people and get better. 

Favorite place to play golf: Locally, I love Hilly Haven Golf Course, but my favorite place I’ve probably ever played is at Reunion Resorts down in Florida. My aunt has a place down there, and I’ve played there with my uncle. It was so gorgeous.

Where do you work? I work at Hilly Haven Golf Course. I really like working there, because I love to talk to all the old people. They’ll come in and chat with me about “Oh, I had a terrible round today!” and break it down. There are also some really sweet old ladies there, who say “It’s so good to see another girl on the golf course!”

What is your favorite type of golf club? Truly my favorite club in my bag right now is my seven iron. At 150 (yards out), I know I can hit a 7-iron and get it on the green. Every now and then, I love a good driver or two. The feeling of hitting a good drive is unmatched. They truly are my children, I take care of them so well. They are like a prized possession; if you wanted to take away my one prized possession, take away the golf clubs. I’ll sob. 

What is your favorite season? Summer obviously. Personally, I hate winter, I’m not a fan of the cold. I think it’s gross. My life revolves around the weather. Summer peak! No school, warm weather, golf time. Then after that, everything goes downhill. 

If you were to live anywhere in the world, where would it be? In winter, I’m living in Florida, and I’m playing golf. Summer, I’m moving to Colorado. I went on a trip to Colorado this summer, and I absolutely thought it was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.

Dogs or cats? Dogs.

Are you part of any school clubs? Key Club, Sting Cancer, Sister Cities International Club, Hope Squad. 

What do you struggle with the most day-to-day? One thing that I struggle with is over-stressing myself. Sometimes when I’m sitting there I’ll look at the list of things I have to do and I am like, “Oh my God I have a lot on my plate right now,” and I’ll flip out. But in reality, I just need to get better at time management and better reasoning. 

Who is your biggest support? My mom. My family in general, but specifically my mom. We’re really close. My mom supports my crazy endeavors. When I’m freaking out about how I have so much to do, I text my mom and she’ll talk me off my ledge every time.

Who do you want to grow up to be? This is going to sound kind of silly because my sister is younger than me, but I want to grow up to be like my little sister because when I try to describe my little sister to people, I think “She is one of the kindest people I’ve ever met.” She is so sweet, so genuine, and I want people to talk about me the way I talk about my sister. 

What is the most important thing in your life right now? My family is always the most important thing in my life. We’re a really close knit family and I love spending time with all of them.

What is your dream job? My dream job is to be a school psychologist. I think this ties back to my love for volunteering and helping other people, and something about that is so appealing to me.

Who is your celebrity crush? Hardest question you’ve asked me all day. I’m picking Micheal B. Jordan, he’s *chef’s kiss *, but my number one golf celebrity crush has got to be Viktor Hovland. If he’s on the TV I’m rooting for him. He’s my number one. Actually, they’re both my number one.

What is your favorite genre of movie film? I don’t know if this is a genre, but I’m going to make it one: Hallmark super cheesy Christmas rom-coms. HUGE fan!

Do you read? I do. I would say my favorite genre is dystopian novels or sci-fi novels. I first fell in love with dystopian and sci-fi when I read The Giver for a book group in 3rd grade, and ever since then, I’ve been hooked.