Mrs. Hornseth stays busy, just like when she was in high school

Nai'a Suda , Reporter

Besty Hornseth is a first year ELA teacher at DPHS who loved her high school experience and wants you to love it too!

Q: How long have you been teaching for?

A: This is my first full year. I started two years ago of long term subbing at the middle school, and I super subbed during covid.  Then, I taught for three quarters of the year last year, so I had a lot of these people who were freshmen.  I feel like I know a lot of people here.  Last year I was teaching math and science, but this is my first full year of teaching language arts, which is what I want to be teaching.  This is my first real “big girl” teaching job so you can say that this is my first year.  I feel like that’s fair.

Q: How has your teaching experience at DPHS been so far?

A: I love it.  I am having so much fun.  My fellow teachers are super supportive, and I could not do this job without their help.  They are always trying to help me understand the lessons and when to test and how many points the test should be. They are always just helping me because otherwise it would just be so blank slate and I wouldn’t even know where to begin.  I also love the students.  Between the staff and the students I am just loving it.

Q: Have you taught at any previous schools?

A: Just De Pere Middle School, but I sold cheese before as I worked at Schreiber Foods for a really long time.

Q: What is it like teaching at a school where other family members also go to?

A: I know a lot more kids, but my kids would probably be the better ones to ask because I think it’s probably weirder for them but for me. I see them once in a while when they drop off their bags here and they ride in with me, but I don’t normally see them during the day at all.  I also don’t teach them, so it makes me feel a little closer because I can understand when they say “oh we have a fire drill” or “we have an assembly” and I’m like “oh yeah I have that too.”  

Q: How was your high school experience and did you like high school?

A: Oh my gosh I loved it!  I went to Pulaski High School and I was in every club I could be in.  I tried to do everything, and I definitely tried to encourage kids to do that here too.  I wouldn’t say I was necessarily a part of like one group.  I had my band friends and my sports friends and my goofy friends and all of my different friend groups and I was busy, busy, busy.  I found myself being at school for jazz band at 5:30 in the morning and some days I would be at volleyball and then marching band until 10 at night.  I would literally be there sometimes 14 to 15 hours a day, and somehow you still find time to get your schoolwork done and I loved it.  It’s such a finite time you have.  I don’t regret any of it.  I wish I could do it all over again. I was not cocky about it or anything, and I was not a rule breaker.  I was kind of like a goody two shoes, but I had a blast and I loved it.