Crimson Aviator

The Student News Site of De Pere High School

Crimson Aviator

Crimson Aviator

A new high school on the horizon?

DPHS students, staff offer opinions on possible 2024 referendum
Lindsey Lyerly

As was widely reported, the De Pere School District is considering a $206 million referendum that would include a new high school.

Voters would have to approve such a project to make it happen. That vote would most likely come in spring or fall of 2024. Read the details of all the plan entails here. 

The Crimson Aviator interviewed several people around De Pere HS for their opinions. They are listed below. 

** Rori Lemerond, freshman: “My question is what will they do with the old building and where will the new one be? I walk and don’t want to have to walk too far or figure out the busing. I don’t think it’s the worst idea depending on the location.”

** Mrs. Holtebeck, Spanish teacher: “I believe that there are a lot of things about the current building to be improved, to have a better quality experience for students.”

** Kaleb Bornshlegel, junior: “Well, I feel that a new building would probably suit De Pere. De Pere is widely growing. There’s always new buildings being put up, and I really enjoy seeing De Pere grow as it is now. I know the Cultural Center is going up, and there’s just a lot of cool stuff going on. I think a new high school would be awesome.”

** Mr. Mohar, French teacher: “I think it’s a good idea. If you want to invest in the future, you invest in the kids, which means you invest with the facilities.”

** Mabel Manders, junior: “I think it’ll be a good change for us to do for our district, and I think it will be good for moving forward. It’ll help.”

** Eliza Goltz, senior: “ The new school needs more lockers, and if kids are in the school district, I feel like they should have the ability to go to our school.”

** Mrs. Behnke, Spanish teacher: “I am very excited because I feel like we are experiencing a lot of crowding right now. That could alleviate some of our issues with crowding in the hallways and in the common areas like the cafeteria and the auditorium.”

** Elliot Olm, freshman: “I want it built before I graduate because I want to be in it.”

** Mrs. Englebert, science teacher: “I don’t have a comment about the money, but just look at the lines for our bathrooms alone. Our district numbers are expanding, and a new school is needed.”

** Audra Boone, junior: “I don’t really think that’s necessary. I think they could just use some of the money and update our school now because we have problems with heating and cooling and some of the tiles on the floor. The bathrooms could be better. There’s like a leaking toilet downstairs, you know, just stuff like that.”

** Mrs. Soquet, computer science teacher: “I know that our district needs something. I don’t know how feasible it is. It doesn’t seem very feasible to just keep adding on. We definitely seem to need another building. I haven’t looked at everything included in the new high school plan, but if there’s a new computer science lab with new machines, I’m all for it.”