Crimson Aviator

The Student News Site of De Pere High School

Crimson Aviator

Crimson Aviator

Not all crimes are bad

Sometimes, breaking the law might be the right thing to do
Clipground

Not all crimes are bad. 

That’s right. Sometimes the law may fall beneath the idea of the greater good. 

But is this true? Is there really ever a reason to break the law? 

Let’s dive into our history and society and see if it’s ever OK to put yourself above the law.

This question has been on my mind for quite some time as this topic has been discussed in our journalism class frequently this semester. 

It got me thinking about crime as a whole, and what it really means to “break the law.”

There are definitely some silly crimes that aren’t coherent in the slightest. Some of these laws would definitely only encourage citizens to do it in the first place. 

Some even seem more like a challenge than a rule put in place to keep people safe. For instance, in Illinois, it is illegal to fish while riding on a giraffe. However, it’s permissible to fish while mounted on a rhinoceros (elk, hippo, tiger, etc.), and I think it’s really unfair that giraffes aren’t allowed. After reading that, I would like to make it my lifelong goal to fish while on a giraffe’s neck in Illinois. Some laws appear designed to be broken.

Some laws seem to be made up. If the laws aren’t based on some moral system, they just fall apart. Some people just love to do what others tell them they can’t do. If we had no laws, there would be no crime, but unfortunately, people are not as noble as they could be sometimes.

There are also crimes that aren’t just. Sometimes, it would be beneficial to “fight the power” as long as it means fighting for the greater good.

Wouldn’t it also be noble to break the law if you’re helping other people? There are examples in history of helping others while breaking the law. 

This includes acts like the underground railroad, the Civil Rights Movement of the 20th century, refugee aid in many countries, and even Jesus Christ performing miracles on the Sabbath day (an act that was against the law at the time). 

These people put the law AND themselves behind, and put others first. Without people standing up to leaders and breaking the law, the world might be worse off without some of these incredible rule-breakers.

During our in-class discussions, the most notable points have been crimes that are unselfish – changing the rules for the betterment of the people, or sparking change in order to enrich the lives of others. 

Sometimes leaders can’t be trusted, and the people know what’s better for them. I have come to realize that no single person is above the law. However, sometimes things need to be changed, rules need to be broken and mended — not for one person, but for all people.

With all the goofy laws that seem more like challenges, and the laws broken selflessly, maybe — just maybe – not all crimes are bad.