Crimson Aviator

The Student News Site of De Pere High School

Crimson Aviator

Crimson Aviator

Performing arts deserve recognition, too

A new stage would be a great place to start

Performance arts at De Pere High School deserve more attention and recognition. 

For how much we take pride in our sports, we really should be taking more pride in our arts. The advertising for the performing arts events is nowhere near as good as it should be; it’s so small compared to our sports ads. 

Our performance arts department thrived last year. The musical, The Little Mermaid,  was beyond sold out, with chairs having to be placed all over the auditorium. The competitive one-acts won state. Jam Band got best band multiple times, and Jam Session swept the competition at Southwest. 

Chicago Street Singers won their division at Southwest as well. Destination De Pere was yet again, an amazing fundraiser. The band, orchestra, and choirs put on so many fantastic performances.  

So why does this department not get the attention it deserves?

If that’s how good our arts department is, imagine what it could become with a higher budget. 

Some things really need some TLC. The auditorium stage, for example, is literally falling apart. Chunks of debris are constantly falling off: some spots are creaky, stained with paint, peeling, and more. That stage has been through so much. Sitting or laying on it gives people splinters and leaves dust all over their clothes. 

Hours upon hours of rehearsal for music classes, theater, and show choir are put in by the students of De Pere High and their directors. So much hard work, dedication, and passion are put into every performance and every rehearsal. 

Yes, our sports are important and we take pride in them, but our performance arts are just as good and deserve recognition as well.