Crimson Aviator

The Student News Site of De Pere High School

Crimson Aviator

Crimson Aviator

Music will always be part of life for Savannah Mills

Savannah Mills, a senior at De Pere High School, has been involved in both the drama and music departments for several years. She took the time to reflect on her experiences and elaborate on her plans for after high school.

Q: What or who motivates you the most?

A: My older sister Ellie. She is two years older than me and she made it into college on a full scholarship. She has all these goals that she’s achieving and I think it’s just something that I wanted to do with my life too.

Q: What advice would you give to someone who’s considering joining band, choir, or music?

A: It’s a really good experience. Everyone there is so inclusive and it’s just fun.

Q: What do you enjoy the most about the activities you’re involved in?

A: The people, because I feel like, even if you love doing something, but everyone around you is just mean and doesn’t care, then it wouldn’t be as enjoyable. 

Q: What do you do to prepare when you’re in the play or band or Show Choir?

A: Well, it’s different depending on what I’m doing. For musicals, I practice my lines. For my music, I can play piano, so I’m able to plunk out my notes. For band, I go over parts and different sections over and over again. So basically just practicing.

Q: What are other roles you’ve played in the past and what one would be your favorite?

A: I was Flotsam the Eel in The Little Mermaid and that was my favorite role because I never was an evil character before and it was just kind of fun. It was different and I got to ride a scooter!

Q: How would you compare your role in the school play to like other roles that you’ve done?

A: It was very different because I was Dolly Parton, so I had to have an accent and I had never  even tried an accent before. I was always a kid character throughout most of my plays that I did but this was like an actual adult.

Q: What are your current plans for after high school?

A:  I applied to BYU Idaho and BYU, I want to go to BYU Provo, which is in Utah and I want to be a nurse.

Q: Do you plan to continue with music in college?

A: Yeah, I want to try out for their music programs. They have a really good a cappella group and I don’t think I’m going to do a band anymore because it’s just a lot of work, but I’m going to try musicals and different things.

Q:: What do you enjoy doing most in your free time?

A: I love hanging out with my family, just being with them, playing board games, and going on walks, it’s just something that’s really important to me.

Q: What is your favorite memory is in any of the activities that you do?

A: Pep band or show choir because we’ve won grand champ a couple of times and that’s really fun to experience with your team. 

Q: Do any of your other family members have any background in music or acting?

A: Yeah, my dad was in band and he played clarinet; he was also a drum major and then he also was in musicals and show choir. My mom was in dance.

Q: What is something that people don’t know about you that you think people would find interesting?

A: I’m a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, so I am very religious and that’s just something that’s really important to me in my life.