Crimson Aviator

The Student News Site of De Pere High School

Crimson Aviator

Crimson Aviator

Sports profile: Paden Clarke, wrestling

“The feeling of winning … really makes it all worth it”

Q: What is your name?

A: Paden Clarke

Q: Why did you join wrestling?

A: I joined because it seemed like it would be fun. 

Q: What does a pre-match warmup look like for you?

A: Usually I listen to music. It’s pretty much always rap. Then I like to jump around and get moving, I just try to get my blood flowing. Rubbing my arms and legs to get “heated.”

Q: How would a typical match go? What is the goal?

A: Obviously it would be to win, but to break your opponent down. It’s a combat sport, and you want to degrade them and wear them down. This is mentally and physically – like getting them to jump and be on edge to fake them out. 

Q: How can you score?

A: A takedown is 2 points, an escape is 1 point. Points can be gained based on time in control or on top, 2-3 seconds is 1 point and 5 seconds is 3 points. Then a pin is an auto win adding 6 team points. 3 points are added from a point based win, and then 5 points are added from a tech fall, which is if you are up by 15 points. 

Q: What does a typical practice look like for you?

A: First there is stretching and some shot practice, then some deep stretching into some stance and motion work, which is like shadow boxing. Then we would go into leg attack drills with sprawling drills. About 30 to 45 minutes in, we get a water break. But because of the high intensity of the practice, we get few breaks. Then we drill with top and bottom control and work on escapes from your base. After that is live wrestling, where we go 100 percent for 6 minutes and every two minutes we have you or your partner either go down or up for top and bottom control practice. After the live wrestling, we go into jogging sprints, where we fluctuate between slow and fast running. Potentially, there could be another 6-minute match where we wrestle live more to end it. 

Q: What are some accomplishments you have made? 

A: I was the most improved wrestler last year (from sophomore to junior year) and placed first once, second twice, and third place once at in-season tournaments. 

Q: What is your favorite part of wrestling?

A: The feeling of winning, especially if it was a hard match. The feeling of winning after hours of hard work and dedication really makes it all worth it.