Crimson Aviator

The Student News Site of De Pere High School

Crimson Aviator

Crimson Aviator

Students frustrated by no Flex/Nest passes

Some wish extra time would’ve been added to lunch instead
Courtesy of freepik.com

This year, a new change was made in the Nest/Flex system, and students want to know why. 

Before this change was made, students had four minutes to get from 3rd period to Flex. But now, it has been changed to 6 minutes. A rule for no passes during Nest/Flex has also been put in place. 

But why was this change made? And how do the students and teachers feel about this?

When asked, students and teachers seemed to appreciate the longer passing period. 

Mrs. Jadin-Rice, assistant principal, said the new superintendent wanted students out of school in May, so they started school earlier but then, they had extra time. 

So, the school administrators decided to put those extra minutes before N/F. Mrs. Jadin-Rice said that they had a few different options on where they wanted to place the extra time, but this option was the one that the majority of the staff liked. 

Senior Leah Ericksrud said, “I appreciate that they give us more time, but I do wish it would have been used for lunch.” 

The vice principal said that she thought this was the best usage of the extra time because a student could be scheduled somewhere they don’t normally go for flex, away from their usual route.  

Overall, people like the longer passing period, but how do they feel about no passes? 

Mrs. Van Ark, a social studies teacher, stated, “We just want to make sure that people are using flex time for its intended purpose, to get extra help and focus on the academics.” 

However, is taking a few minutes to go to the bathroom going to hinder learning?

Ericksrud said, “It’s pretty easy to catch up (on schoolwork).”

Mrs. Van Ark also adds that the staff thought that the extra minutes of passing time would be good for stopping at lockers and going to the bathroom. But many students posed the question: Can the whole school go to the bathroom at once? 

The lines for the restrooms would be long, so there would not be enough time for everyone in the school to use the bathroom. 

French teacher Mr. Mohar said, “Here’s the thing, if a kid has to go to a bathroom, you have to go to the bathroom. It’s not like you time that stuff. That’s not the way the world and people’s bodies work.” 

But what if a pass is needed for another reason? What if a student gets assigned to the wrong flex? Jayleen Kang says, “I think it’s frustrating if you need to go see a teacher and you weren’t able to be in their flex.” 

Or what if a health emergency comes up? Mrs. Jadin-Rice claims that teachers can write out a pass if someone has to go to the health room. But does that depend on teachers and how “severe” they think the issue is? Are they the ones judging that?

Overall, there seems to be a large controversy over this new Nest/Flex system. Students aren’t really sure how to feel about it, and it seems that teachers feel that way too. 

View Comments (3)