Crimson Aviator

The Student News Site of De Pere High School

Crimson Aviator

Crimson Aviator

High school was about more than just academics

With my high school career coming to an end a semester early, I can’t help but to think about what I’m going to take with me into the real world.

Will I actually need to know half of the lessons I was taught in order to succeed in life? Personally, I don’t think school was just about academics because I learned so much more. 

In order to graduate, it is required to have so many credits in certain subjects. Some of those subjects can be harder than others which can make the class frustrating. I never understood why schools held all of the kids to the same standards when we’re all different. We all learn differently and interpret things in different ways. Some of us are more creative than others and some enjoy the academic side of school. 

I’ve never thought learning was too hard, especially when I’ve had teachers who were willing to help me understand. When it came to the more important parts, such as personal problems or life accomplishments, I knew that I could always confide in my teachers even if it wasn’t about academics.

For many students, the relationships formed with teachers are so important. I’ve learned that just because a teacher teaches a certain subject, it doesn’t mean that’s all they’re good for. Some of my best memories were not only formed with my friends, but with my teachers too.

Being lucky enough to graduate early, I’ve realized that I don’t need to take everything I’ve learned with me; I only need the pieces that will help me succeed the most. Those being how to problem solve when something doesn’t work, or maybe even the basic math skills. 

As a senior, my perception of high school is way different than it was when I was a freshman. I came into the building thinking high school was going to be the best time of my life. I had the idea that I was going to have nothing but fun and some homework. 

I was wrong. 

Now that I’m leaving, I can take with me the knowledge that I’ve gained in what I thought were going to be the shortest four years of my life. 

I understand that school is not the most fun, but it has taught me some of the most important things that I know.

High school will be missed, but I am ready to move onto the next chapter of my life. 

View Comments (2)