Crimson Aviator

The Student News Site of De Pere High School

Crimson Aviator

Crimson Aviator

Lots of benefits to a work release program in high school

In today’s competitive world, it is becoming increasingly important for us high school students to gain real-world experience and develop essential skills that will prepare us for the challenges of adulthood. 

One effective way to achieve this is through a work release program, which allows us students to balance academic responsibilities with part-time employment. 

A work release program in high school offers numerous advantages, including the opportunity for students to gain practical skills, develop a strong work ethic, and enhance academic performance.

1.. Practical Skills: By participating in a work release program, we can acquire valuable practical skills that are difficult to learn inside of our classes. For instance, part-time employment allows us students to develop time-management skills as we juggle work schedules with academic commitments. 

For example, my previous job had me coming in from 6 a.m. to 11 a.m., and then going to school from noon until 3 p.m. This gave me freedom and responsibility to make it to where I had to be on time. 

Also, we students learn the importance of responsibility and teamwork in a professional setting. In my job at Hurckman Mechanical, I had to be on task whether I was under supervision or not. 

For example, I was tasked to get 20 bags of topsoil and a bag of grass seed with the company card and a work truck on my own. I was trusted to drive to a Menard’s while on company time and be trusted with the company’s truck and money.  

2.. Strong Work Ethic Development: A work release program instills a strong work ethic in high school students, which is crucial for success in today’s job market. Through part-time employment, we learn the value of hard work, perseverance, and professionalism. 

We gain first-hand experience of problem-solving and taking initiative, skills that cannot be easily taught within the confines of a classroom. Whilst I work I am expected to complete tasks and, unlike school, it’s not just a bad grade but I could lose my job. 

The expectation of hard work and diligence causes me to work harder. This work ethic will undoubtedly contribute to my long-term career success.

3.. Academic Performance: Contrary to popular belief, participating in a work release program can actually enhance students’ academic performance. Working part-time provides practical context for the lessons learned in school, making the material more understanding. 

Students are often motivated to excel academically to maintain eligibility for the program. Moreover, the time-management skills gained through work release have helped me prioritize my responsibilities, resulting in improved focus and efficiency in my schoolwork. 

I had to make it to both work and school on time. There were also deadline expectations through work that helped teach me to manage my time better. 

4.. Career Exploration and Connections: A work release program in high school offered me the chance to explore different career paths and industries before committing to further education or a specific career.

Through part-time jobs, I gained insight into my interests, strengths, and weaknesses, allowing me to make more informed decisions about my future. Additionally, you have the opportunity to network with professionals in their field, which can open doors for future internships, job opportunities, or mentorships. 

Even with just working with one of my co-workers for just a few months at Hurckman, I was able to show my skills and gain opportunities in the same field out of town.

Since being involved in a work release program, I have gotten a sense of life after high school through working full time throughout the summer. 

Instead of just going to school for 6 hours a day and then working maybe 3 days a week for 5 hours at a time, I’ve been able to work 20 hours a week during the school year and a full time 40 hour work week during the summer. 

The student work release program has prepared me for life after high school by showing me what it would be like to work a full time job and maintain responsibility and consistency in the workplace.